With #APSBack2School, the Friends, like other community organizations, is ramping up our engaging STEM programming and reinvigorating our support for science education, both in and out of the classroom. None of which is possible without the participation of members like you. Please make joining or renewing part of your #back2school routine, along with purchasing school supplies and checking out fall fashions.While the Planetarium is closed for construction, the Friends must continue to advocate and fund-raise for this facility to ensure it will be an effective venue for science education when it reopens in fall 2022. Without access to full-dome experiences, the Friends must continue to inspire learners of all ages through astronomy programs, both virtual and in-person.
Please save the following dates and join us
- Sept. 26 (Sunday) 1–3 PM Celebrate the Solar System and Stars with an Ice Cream Social at Hayes Park
- Nov. 14 (Sunday) Celebrate the upcoming launch of the James Webb Space Telescope
Throughout the 2021–2022 academic year, the Friends will provide professional development grants to Arlington STEM teachers. In spring 2022, the Friends will award the David M. Brown Memorial Scholarship to an APS high school senior pursuing a STEM degree. Your charitable dues and donations finance these opportunities.
Looking ahead to its 2020 re-opening next year, the Planetarium will need
- an updated projection system to continue showing state-of-art programming
- a replacement mural along the entrance corridor to excite visitors' imaginations
- a new director to continue Arlington's traditions of excellent education
The Friends look forward to sharing an exciting year full of learning with you until the Planetarium re-opens in 2022.